“Quick Disclaimer: This post may include affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This does NOT mean you get charged any extra with your purchase, I just get a small commission.”
Bullet journaling is my secret weapon to staying organised. If you don’t know what a Bullet journal is read this post ‘Why you NEED a bullet journal’
I really do believe that gratitude journaling can benefit anyone. Who doesn’t need to see their world from the vantage point of gratitude? I have been keeping a gratitude journal for a year or so but haven’t really been making the most of it truly. Even with little effort on my part gratitude journaling has made me see life in a different perspective.
You don’t need to have anything special to practice gratitude. Any spare notebook and pen will do or you can use an app if you want. I recommend and use a dot grid journal by Leuchtturm1917 and a Pilot Metropolitan fountain pen.
What is gratitude journaling?
Gratitude journaling is the habit of recording and reflecting on things (typically three) that you are grateful for on a regular basis. In essence, you are rewiring your brain to focus more on the positive aspects of your life and build up resilience against negative situations.https://www.happyfeed.co/research/what-is-a-gratitude-journal
Another definition I like:
It is simply the action of cultivating positivity by acknowledging the good things in life.Ana McCrae Coaching https://moveyourmountains.org/
Why is it important?
In simple terms, taking time out of your day to feel gratitude for our day shifts your mindset to seek out the positive. Berkley University has studied the use of gratitude journaling with mental health concerns and found that those who wrote a letter of gratitude a week reported significantly better mental health.
Benefits of Gratitude Journaling
- Reduces negativity
- Increases happiness
- Improves self-esteem
- Sleep improvement
- Improves mental wellbeing
- Makes you appreciate what you have
How to start a gratitude journal
- Firstly you need to choose how you will record your thoughts. Will you use an app or a journal or something in between.
- Designate a time and a place for your new routine. If it helps set yourself a reminder to journal.
- Be in the present moment while you are journaling. If your mind wanders, bring it back to the present.
- Lastly don’t beat yourself up if you forget to journal.
Ana McCrae has a good method to gratitude journaling. She suggests that you journal in the morning and at night. In the morning write three things you are grateful for and why. Followed by three things that would make the day amazing. Then at night journal three things that happened that your grateful for and three things that would have made it better. She suggests that reflecting on the positive things in your day cements those memories. Then things that would have made it better puts you in a mindset of continuous improvement.
If you think that all of that sounds very complicated then you can start with gratitude prompts. These are some to get you started and you can download the whole list through the form underneath.
- What is an old relationship I am grateful for?
- What qualities do I appreciate in a co-worker?
- What is one quality I admire about my partner?
- What positive quality have I picked up from my friend?
- What positive quality have I picked up from my mom?
- What positive quality have I picked up from my dad?
- What do I admire about the employees at the places I frequent?
- What positive quality do I really admire about myself?
- What positive qualities of a role model do I value?
- How can a perceived weakness of mine also be a strength?
This is my current gratitude journal. It’s a handmade junk journal.
Notebooks For Gratitude Journaling
A5 Butterfly Wings Dot Grid Notebook$52.50
A5 Painted Flowers Dot Grid Notebook$52.50
A5 Forest Night Dot Grid Notebook$52.50
A5 Light Pink 192 Pages Dot Grid Notebook$59.50
A5 Gliding Swallow 192 Pages Dot Grid Notebook$59.50
A5 Gliding Swallow Dot Grid Notebook$52.50
Leuchtturm1917 A5 Notebook, Hardcover, 251 Numbered Pages, Dotted, Nordic Blue$37.50
Leuchtturm1917 A5 Notebook, Hardcover, 251 Numbered Pages, Dotted, Pacific Green$37.50
Leuchtturm1917 A5 Notebook, Hardcover, 251 Numbered Pages, Dotted, Berry$37.50
I hope this article was useful in your decision to start gratitude journaling. Email me at [email protected] or comment on the post below.