“Quick Disclaimer: This post may include affiliate links and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This does NOT mean you get charged any extra with your purchase, I just get a small commission.”
Bullet journaling is my secret weapon to staying organised. If you don’t know what a Bullet journal is read this post ‘Why you NEED a bullet journal’
What is a junk journal? Well the short answer is that a junk journal is a journal that has been handmade from recycled materials. From the pages to the cover, everything is made by you. Junk journals have been around for a while now and they have become very popular in North America and Australia. The only limit to making a junk journal is your imagination really. I am currently making the cover to my most recent junk journal from a cereal box, fabric and lace.
Junk Journal: A book which is often made through found and recycled materials to be used as a way to collect and record memories, thoughts, ideas, and inspirationhttps://artjournalist.com/what-is-a-junk-journal/
Uses For A Junk Journal
A junk journal can be used for anything you want really. A junk journal can be treated like a normal notebook or journal. Anything you would do with a normal notebook you can do with a junk journal including bullet journaling. Don’t know how to bullet journal? Read this article “Why you NEED a bullet journal“.
Memory keeping is another common use for your junk journal. Add photos and bits and pieces from your life to your junk journal that trigger memories. Tags, envelopes, pretty ephemera from your daily life. It’s a fun way to remember different things from your life.
Your junk journal can become a themed book. For example you could make one about your garden or a holiday you have been on. It could also be your art journal. I know very little about art journals but I have heard that junk journals are good for this.
Junk journals make beautiful gifts for someone special. You could make the journal and give it for them to fill or you could make it and fill it with memories. An example I am going to do is make one for each of my children and fill it with school memories for a graduation present.
Learn More About Junk Journals
To learn more about what a junk journal is, I think the best places to go are Pinterest, Facebook groups, Instagram hashtags and Youtube. I have found a lot of useful information in these placing and I will list my favourites below.
Youtube is where I have got a lot of my ideas from as there is nothing like a demonstration to learn from. This first video is a rundown of what a junk journal is and it’s purpose. I think it’s a good beginner video and it’s only ten minutes.
The next few recommendations are of Youtube channels that I recommend about junk journaling.
- Johanna Clough is a Youtuber that I really like. She has some great videos and I would highly recommend you subscribe to her youtube channel
- Treasure books is great for tutorials about making embellishments for your journal.
- Gayle Agostinelli has another youtube channel that I find useful.
Pinterest is a treasure trove of articles/pins about junk journaling. You will find a lot of Youtube channels also have Pinterest accounts. To start you off go and take a look at my Pinterest boards.
- The Paper Outpost – This account is very popular in the junk journaling community. They also have a Youtube channel.
- Compass & Ink – Journals of all type including junk journals.
- Johanna Clough – She has a bigger Youtube selection than pinterest.
- Junk sisters journals
I tend to follow hashtags not so much Instagram users. The primary ones I follow are #junkjournal #junkjournaljunkies #junkjournals #vintageephemera and #junkjournalpages.
There are hundreds of facebook groups about junk journaling. The ones I have found the most helpful are below.
- Printables for your junk journaling with TLC – This is the first group I joined as I bought some of her digital content for my junk journal. I do really like this group as they have challenges that you can do and even give you free digital journaling papers.
- Junk journal junkies
- Junk Journal Junkster Down Under
Printables For Your Junk Journal
When you start junk journaling you are going to want pretty paper and journaling cards/tags. I have a few places that I go to find these things.
- The Graphics Fairy – This website is a repository for millions of digital images for free.
- A.C More Marketplace – Tlc creates vintage.
- Etsy – Search for digital paper
- Google image search
- Zibbet – Much like Etsy and A.C More Marketplace.
That’s it for the resources I use for journaling. Remember there is no right or wrong way to make and use a junk journal, it is all up to your imagination. Feel free to email me with questions, and I love to see your projects, at [email protected]