I was recently advised by my husband that he had no clue about the parts of a fountain pen and he suggested I include a page about it on my site.  So here it is.

The nib is the tip and writing end of the pen, commonly made of steel but can be made of other materials including gold.

The grip is for holding the pen and houses the feed, which is a piece of black plastic commonly, that directs the ink to the nib and regulates the flow of ink.

The barrel is the external housing of the ink cartridge or converter.

An ink cartridge is a disposable plastic container that houses the ink before it gets to the feed. 

Another option is the converter, this is a reusable cartridge for filling fountain pens from bottled ink. I believe this to be a better option as it is better on the environment and you can then use a broader range of colours from bottled ink.

Part of the nib is the tines, tip, slit and breather hole these things all regulate the flow of ink and how it appears on your page.  If you are having problems with ink getting to the page it may be the nib needs adjusting or the type of paper is not conducive to fountain pens.  There will be more in-depth articles about problems with fountain pens at a later date. 

In the mean time email me at [email protected] or phone 0408 924 729


%192 pages dot grid%pilot metropolitan and iroshizuku ink 

%192 pages dot grid%pilot metropolitan and iroshizuku ink